Ransomware /noun: a type of malicious software designed to block access to a computer system until a sum of money is paid
Why is your business a potential target?Here are a few reasons as to why you could be in the crosshairs of a cyber attack.
- Because that’s where the money is;
- Because attackers know that a successful infection can cause major disruptions, which will increase their chance of getting paid
- Because small business are often unprepared to deal with cyber-attacks and have a relaxed BYOD (bring your own device) policy
How does a Ransomware attack begin?The most common methods that can lead to a Ransomware infection is:
- Spam emails that contain malicious links or attachments
- Security exploits in vulnerable software, or non-updated equipment
- Legitimate websites that have been potentially corrupted with hidden code
- Non-legitimate websites that have been specifically created to mislead you
- Spoof software downloads that look like something you may need or will protect you
The best protection, is prevention, and that is where we come in!
5 Ways to Prevent an AttackWith Ransomware threats on the rise, some of the best ways to proactively protect against major disruptions caused by ransomware are actually easily.
- Don’t store important data only on 1 PC
- Have a backup! Whether using an external hard-drive, or a cloud system
- Ensure your software and operating system are up to date
- Use safe on-line practices
- Partner with an IT Firm to help protect and prevent cyber-attacks